Thursday, June 24, 2010

Who Turned out the Lights?

So there I was. Unconscious on the floor of the horse trailer. I do wish I could remember what happened, but I don't know exactly. I do know I brought my horse in the trailer and clipped him up to the trailer tie. I don't remember doing that, but we later found the clip dangling neatly from his halter, so he must have broken the rope and took the clip with him.

It was the last day of horse camp. I had been in Ninilchik for TWO horse camps, because both of our girls did a camp, and each brought her horse. We also had Mukluk there, because he did a little trick show for the campers.

My horse was high energy, and had been in a stall all day long. Then we took him out in the yard for just a short time, and straight into the trailer. And he walked by his barn buddy on the way. He wasn't ready to load, not really. I should really have been paying more attention to how he was feeling/acting. But I was just checking things off my list. Girls packed. Check. Bunkhouse cleaned out. Check. Stalls cleaned. Check. Trailer hooked to truck. Check. Tack loaded. Check. And so on. I was proud of myself for getting ready to go so quickly, and the last thing to do was load my three horses. So I guess that's why I was distracted.

We think my horse broke the rope, and while pulling back he hit me on the left side of the face while facing him. My nose/eyebrow/forehead was sore/tender/bruised on this side. Then, I went flying into the inside of the metal trailer, and hit HARD on the right side of my head. This is where I ended up getting the severe concussion. I know this part because my mom said my Life is Good horsie hat flew out of the trailer escape door..I hit so hard. Dang hat knew to get out while the getting was good! :) I got knocked out cold, and fell to the floor inside the trailer.

I was taken to the emergency room, and they did a CAT scan, xrays, etc. Nothing broken, just a yucky concussion. I am not allowed to ride for three weeks. This happened two weeks ago, now, and I have not been up to blogging a lot. I'm really doing SOOO much better, because at first all I could do was sleep. A lot. And I had a lot of nausea for about a week. And a very swollen egg/bump on one side, and tender/sore/owies on the other too. So I could not find a spot on my pillow to put my head! Or a spot on my head to put my pillow, I guess you could say. It was hard to get comfortable.

And every day I found new scrapes/abrasions all over my body. But I was really lucky not to get hurt worse, I guess.

I'm okay. I'm fine. I sure don't like getting stopped in my tracks, because I like to go about a hundred miles per hour at all times. So I'm learning to take it slow and I'll be wearing my helmet in the trailer from now on. That's what my husband says, anyway! :)

PS Pictures from horse camp to follow soon. We really did have fun!


Wingnut said...

Oh my!!! I'm so glad you're okay! Wow! What an ordeal! I think a helmet is a really good idea :)

Carole said...

Wow! Glad you are feeling better now, that sounds really, really awful! :-(

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Sister.. so glad you are ok!! Hate things like this, but I know God had you in his hand.. OH my.... thanking him big time!!!


DebW said...

Holy crap!! Glad you're going to be ok! After 17 years, I have to say I am still wary of loading!
Feel better soon!

Kim said...

Oh, my word. So glad to hear you're healing. That's pretty scary that you experienced such nausea and soreness—must have really been a doozie of a concussion. Take it easy, G!

Lana said...

sounds like the "life is good" hat was tellin a fib!

Glad you're ok!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

How terrifying! I'm so glad you are okay.