Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Consistently Inconsistent

I like random. I like crazy. I tend to be spontaneous and fly by the seat of my pants. The seat of my pants isn't the greatest pilot, but somehow I manage to be functional.

I like to be organized but its not often I master it. I have three calendars, my blackberry, my dayplanner, and my children as reminders. I still fumble. I still fail. I still show up for events a week early. From the outside looking in you might think I've got it together, but I'm just really good at recovery and big smiles.

I've been thinking about how often I do not follow a pattern. I am very very good at starting one, but very very terrible at being consistent. I cannot seem to find even a simple routine, or at least one cannot find me!

I start things on Monday that I assure myself in my quiet little thoughts, I shall do EACH and EVERY Monday, because whatever it was I was doing just works so well. Especially on Mondays. Soon I am doing it every fifteenth Friday, and eventually I remember it only once a year, and soon it is gone forever from my puny mind. Because, you know, that just works SO WELL. Sheesh.

I would love to be always on the ball, right on the money, predictable as taxes. But its just not me, I guess.

I comfort myself that I'm probably having more FUN in my life, than those super organized, logical, predictable types. Oh sure. Because those types are not losing books called "Simple Tips for Getting and Staying Organized" from their local libraries, running up huge fines, and eventually returning the book in the book drop in great humiliation in a rental car, and never returning to the library again? Sure, that's fun alright. I'd relocate towns but I like this town, and I'd probably never be able to find my way around a new town. I'd also cheerfully lose books from their town library...consistently.

Patterns rather bug me. I am drawn to things that are off-kilter, unique, and dance to their own rhythm. Quirky completely captures me! Give me something unusual and I'm drawn to it, fascinated by it, love its defiance of normal. Numbers are not my friend. I don't like to play with numbers, in fact Sudoku makes me want to walk off of a cliff! And my splatter pattern would be, well, irregular I'm sure.



5 comments:

Pam said...

This should be an anthem. Although I hate Sudoko, I do love weird number patterns. But it has to be weird:).

Go us!

Loquacious said...

You have to do things your own way, hon. I think you're fabulous just the way you are. *hugs*

twinmamabee said...

I completely hear you! I am great at creating a schedule. In fact, I have scribbled down, emailed, created in Excel, Word, you name it many versions of a great schedule for my day but doing it is a whole new story.

I just blame in on everything around me. That way I don't have to feel guilty. :)

Denise K. said...

I think you are perfect just the way you are! Just like you, I don't get along well with numbers either; good thing I married an accountant! HA HA :-)

Mere said...

Totally understandable! I love that everyone is different! It's what makes the world go round! Have an AWESOME weekend!!

Love, Mere