We have had SO much fun clicker training our miniature horse, Mukluk. He loves to learn tricks and is very smart, and easy to teach. We use Nilla Wafers for a treat, and he will do anything for him. Watch the video: This trick took about ten minutes to teach, from start to finished voice command.
We used this trick for a 4-H presentation, for our horse club, and everyone liked it. So, we are doing a mini clinic with our horse club and their horses, on Clicker Training, right after Christmas. We are excited about teaching it and seeing everyone's ideas!
A few Clicker Training tips:
1. Start with a treat they love. If they will sniff it and walk away, its the wrong treat. :)
2. Use a high rate of reward-click and treat, click and treat, click and treat, until they know a click will always be followed by a treat.
3. Once they know what the clicker is, choose a trick or behavior to do. Its best to start with something they already do naturally, such as pawing the ground or tossing the head.
4. Reward for the slightest indication of what you want. Then ask for more and more until you have exactly what you wanted.
5. Have fun!! You can use Clicker Training for dogs, horses, etc. Its easy and fun!