Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mt Redoubt

We have been experiencing some of God's mighty and powerful acts around here!

Mt Redoubt has been acting up, first pouting for weeks and finally a full-blown temper tantrum.

The mountain erupted 15 times before we had ash fall here. So I guess we are doing pretty well, considering the mountain is straight across the inlet from us.

We started to get ash fall around 5: 30 yesterday, and it fell for only about 20 minutes. It covered the ground in gray stuff, falling in hard ash "pellets" and landing like hail. Pretty cool! Especially if you don't mind all the stuff being tracked into the house and the car.

Here is a really amazing video of the mountain erupting the night before, with a grand lightning display! I love the fierce nature of this great state we live in!


Redoubt Eruption March 27 2009 from Bretwood Higman on Vimeo.

Keep us in your thoughts...because I don't think Miss Redoubt is through with us yet!

3 comments:

Mere said...

Cool video! I'll keep y'all in my prayers!!

Love, Mere

Anonymous said...

Did you know that I was camping at the base of Mt. St. Helen's on May 18, 1980 - the day she blew her top? I was in the evacuation area with a bunch of my high school friends (we were camping there for Senior Skip Day). That day, and the days that followed will forever be some of my most vivid memories of high school. Ash, ash, ash... everywhere there was ash. So much of that stuff. So when you post about Mt. Redoubt, all my memories come rushing back, and they make me feel like a kid again.

Kerilou said...

How are things going? I gotta say, when it was on the news that first day, all I thought of was you, and that photo you posted just recently! I haven't seen anything new about it lately, what is the scoop?? Hope you all are okay!
Kerilou